Tuesday, January 23, 2007

December 19 - How to Reach Secular People

Introduction. Published 15 years ago, this book might be considered somewhat dated reading for cutting-edge Christian leaders. However, Hunter’s goal is to provide an understanding of Western culture so that a Christian leader may “draw together and systematize what is known about effective apostolic ministry to secular people in the West” (Hunter 18). This book guides me to greater effectiveness as a leader by giving a framework for the “apostolic” commission (35) of winning the West for Christ. To single out one or two things in this book that developed my leadership would be virtually impossible. There was a blessing in every chapter.

Profiling. After detailing the decline of Christendom, Hunter profiles the nature of the secular audience we would call evangelism. The part of this chapter that formed me the most was his work with the attitude of secular culture to guilt and to doubt. Mainly, guilt has been seen as a disease by modern culture, where one goes to a “therapist for freedom” from guilt rather than a “priest for absolution” (46). This is a phenomenon that I have experienced in my contact with secular people and many church members. However, I could not put my finger on it quite the way that Hunter has. The idea that people are sinful and guilty before God is a totally foreign concept to a secular person and even many church goers who are open or closet Universalists. The idea of repenting for one’s sins makes no sense to a person who does not recognize themselves as sinful, will argue ferociously the idea, and is more plagued by doubt than guilt.

Developing Strategies. In the next chapter, Hunter outlines strategies for reaching secular people. The most formational elements in this chapter were Hunter’s words on “alienation” (60). This is another situation that I have encountered that I just could not put my finger on: people are truly alienated in this culture – from creation, from God, and from each other. There are so many places to where we can withdraw now (our gated communities, our apartments), be entertained, kept fed and comfortable and not ever have to build a relationship or see God’s hand at work. It builds loneliness and isolation. It creates a hole in our heart where we will consume anything to fill it, even our own spiritual filth. Fellowship, God, the creation of which we are a part – these fill our souls. We do not live by the flesh alone.


Communicating. In chapter three, Hunter turns to communication strategies. I had heard something like these among the leadership of the contemporary service during my last appointment. However, I saw them radically misapplied. There was precious little “active listening” (98), because the prevailing view of contemporary worship was that it was a concert-type affair. We were too busy ‘rocking on’ to have room for listening. There was also little room for questions and relationship building. Not putting “the pressure on” (104) was translated into not giving direction or acting as “consultant”, hoping that in this environment faith would just be “caught” (99). A lack of focus meant a paucity of “redemptive analogies” (105). In the end, caught up in the temporary ‘success’ and trendy-ness of it all, I failed as a leader. That will not happen again in that way now that I have read this book.

Reaching & Relating. While this material may be dated, there have been few things that I have found more rich in evangelism literature than the last two chapters of this book. In these chapters Hunter develops a framework for what kinds of Christian individuals and communities reach secular people. While the material on individual Christians was helpful, the material on Christian communities forged my vision of ministry and Christian leadership. In my last appointment I inherited a lack of vision and believed that I had no responsibility or authority to provide one. For some foolish reason I forgot my commission from God and my ordination as a pastor. This book reminded me that the church is a mission to the lost who matter to God. Without Christ people are lost and cannot find the way to God on their own. Because of this book, I will never forget my ordination again.