Thursday, July 27, 2006

July 14-16 -- Our Second Visitors! Mom & Dad!

For the weekend of July 14-16, Becca and I were happy to welcome my mom and dad, C. T. and Linda Wilson. They brought the rest of my plants: the flowers (for Becca), the tomatoes (gotta have those), and the all important thyme plants and the second bay leaf plant. Whew! It was quite a haul and they struggled through rain and storm to get here. However, the rain subsided on their arrival.

Dad helped me fix the computers. There had been some kinks with the wireless internet hook up in the apartment. I also want to reformat the hard-drive on my old computer and reinstall everything. It was a complete two-hours computer nerd-fest, but Dad and I had fun. I think that Becca and mom went shopping and other random girl-stuff.

We tried going to the Shaker Village nearby, but could not get a reservation that was advantageous to us, so we checked out the gift shop. They had a lot of unique gifts. Mom and Dad picked up some new and too-nice-to-use wooden utentils. I was amazed at the quality of the woodworking in the shop. Most of it, as I understand it, is made nearby in Berea. I remain fascenated by woodworking. The patient steadiness and perfection required in it are still a source of wonder and mystery to me.

My metaphor for God's presence in our lives is always the garden ... hence all the plants ... however, I can never forget that Jesus was a "teknos" -- a carpenter or handyman. They didn't have the division of labor in 1st century Israel that we have today. A teknon did all kinds of things: woodworking, bricklaying, rudamentary engineering, etc. We should never forget, especially all us recovering engineers, that The One Who Is, YHWH, was not only the first physician, gardener, and such, but also the first engineer. No offense, but do you think a liberal arts major can design the support systems for the Alps or the electrical systems that allow the human brain to dream up multiplication tables and partial differential equations? Of course, no offence, could a techincal arts major paint such a beautiful scene as the Florida Keys, or plant so grand an orchard as the Amazon, or so great as garden as the average English Garden?

Anyway, it was a great blessing as always to have Mom and Dad with us. Maybe they and you can come visit us sometime. Call ahead!

Grace and peace,
Trav Wilson